Sunday, November 26, 2006

Hawthorne Pizza - Midwood/Elizabeth

Pizza/Italian
$14 - Chopped Salad & 6 Garlic Knots

I love Hawthorne's. It feels like a neighborhood place where the food is really good and you can see a lot of the same people over and over again. Their pizza is pretty good, but it's the flat dough, slightly burned kind. One good thing is it's different enough from both Brixx and Mellow to draw people in. There are only two sizes of pizza, individual or huge but it's good. The salads are my favorite as each one I've tried has been great. The Tuscan salad is my absolute favorite and the Chopped is really good too. The lettuce is always fresh and the balsamic vinaigrette is a great dressing. The Tuscan comes with fresh mozzarella, roma tomatoes and yellow peppers while the Chopped has green olives, tomatoes and red onions. I've heard the Spinach salad is pretty good, but I'm not a fan of spinach so I haven't tried it. My favorite pizza is the Elizabeth Special with pepperoni, sausage, onions and green peppers. The BBQ Chicken was a little sweet for me, and I haven't tried many others. I didn't like the calzone, preferring Mellow's calzones to these. They were too small, the crust too crunchy and too much ricotta for my taste. I've heard the pasta is pretty good but I haven't tried it. The garlic knots are a new discovery with bread knots coated in olive oil and roasted garlic served with a side of marinara. Yum!!! The beer is relatively cheap and I haven't tried any of the wines yet. It's a good place for dinner any night of the week or takeout if you're close by. In the summer, sitting outside is great but while it's cold, inside is pretty good too. There are a few flat screens with whatever game is on and a smoking section if you need one. It doesn't carry over too bad. If you have the Citipass book, I believe there's a coupon if you want to try it out. Otherwise, it's highly recommended by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment