Saturday, April 02, 2011

Lang Van - Midwood/Shamrock

Vietnamese So I don't have a ton of experience with Vietnamese food and I've always been a little intimidated to try this place. I came a long time ago but didn't order well so I usually stick with Thai when I'm craving asian food. However, a friend of mine loves this place and was willing to guide me to something I'd like so I gave it another go. It did not disappoint. I've always heard Lang Van is a fave among people in Charlotte who like Vietnamese food and now I understand why. My friend knows the owner/manager lady but it appears that she knows and remembers everyone who comes in and what they order. Rather than order off the menu, she asked what I liked (chicken, beef or seafood, rice or noodles, etc.) and she recommended the Vietnamese chicken burritos (they have an actual name but I can't remember it so just go with me here). The concept is pretty simple, they bring out the rice noodle tortilla with a steaming bowl of water and a plate filled with fragrant cilantro, mint leaves, skewered chicken, veggies and sprouts and you make your own burrito like dish. My friend and I split this and then he ordered the lemon grass chicken curry which we split as well. His was yummy, but definitely had a hidden kick to it. It seems that Vietnamese food is similar to Thai and just as good. However, the atmosphere at Lang Van is really the bonus. It's not so much the setting as the waitstaff and the owner. They treat you like family, they won't let your water glass get below the rim for more than 2 sips, and they remember you when you come. I ran into another friend there and she mentioned that they've remembered her order for years, even though the menu changed and she doesn't come very often. It's almost like a family vacation. :) If you're a fan of Vietnamese food or just an adventurous eater, I highly recommend trying this place. If you don't know what to order, ask for help and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment